Crown of Thorns Plant

Euphorbia milii
Christ Plant

A Crown of Thorns Plant (Euphorbia milii), a bushy slow growing succulent plantSucculents, native to very dry areas of the tropics and subtropics, adapted to a limited availability of water by developing thick roots, leaves, and stems. These parts of the plant collect and store water in order to survive long periods of drought. This gives succulents a very swollen appearance and its nickname, the fat plant. Succulents need little water or humidity. native to Madagascar, is an easy- care flowering houseplant that thrives on neglect, blooms throughout the year, grows indoors or outdoors, and is very easy to propagate. According to legend, a Crown of Thorns Plant got its nickname after it was associated with the Crown of Thorns worn by Jesus. Under ideal conditions, a Crown of Thorns Plant can reach a height of 3ft and a width of 2ft. Crown of Thorns plants have sharp 1/2” thorns that grow on fleshy dark brown stems, and clusters of bright green tear shaped leaves that often last only a few months. Like a Poinsettia plant, also a kind of Euphorbia, the most beautiful part of a Crown of Thorns plant is the bright colorful bracts that surround very small flowers. The bracts of a Crown of Thorns plant may be red, yellow, or pink and appear at the ends of 2” stalks; the stalks are covered in a sticky substance that gets on your hands when you touch the plant. A Crown of Thorns plant is a unique beautiful plant but all parts are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222 The Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants [Paperback]is an excellent reference to keep around if you have young children and pets. so please keep it away from small children and pets.