The weather is getting warmer and Aphids, Slugs, Beetles, Stinkbugs, Mosquitoes, Spider Mites and lots of other pests are coming to visit our plants. If you want to avoid toxic chemicals, try a few of these “green”methods to get rid of them.
Use plants in your garden or indoors that naturally repel insects.
1. Chives chase Spider Mites and Aphids away. Chives also protect Roses from Black Spot disease.
2. Basil keeps Mosquitoes and Flies at bay.
3. Garlic repels Spider Mites, Aphids, Fleas, and Japanese Beetles.
4. Anything that smells of Eucalyptus is effective against Mosquitoes. Mosquitoes also avoid lemongrass.
5. The strong odor of peppermint gets rid of Ants, Flea Beetles, and Aphids.
6. Surround your garden or indoor plants with marigolds to keep Thrips, Whiteflies, Tomato Worms, and Squash Bugs away. The roots of a Marigold produce a substance that kills Nematodes in the soil.
7. Plant Radishes throughout the garden to keep Cucumber Beetles, Stinkbugs, and Squash Bugs away.
8. Plant specific flowers, herbs, or vegetables that attract good insects which dine on the harmful ones such as: Alyssium, Basil, Butterfly Bush, Calendula, Cosmos, Dill, Garlic, Goldenrod, Lavender, Sun Flowers, Sweet William, and Yarrow.