Poisonous Flowering HousePlants

The holiday season is approaching and we all want our homes and offices to look festive. Flowering plants are a great addition to your holiday decor, but be careful, many are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from small children and pets. Here are are just a few to be careful with: azaleas, anthuriums, amaryllis, gold fish plants, cyclamen, daffodils,  and lilies. Both Poinsettias and Christmas Cactus are non-toxic. You can read more about these plants in the Popular Houseplant Section of the website.