ZZ Plant – Yellow Leaf Tips

Hi Judy,
Just got this little guy and noticed some yellowing of a couple of the leaves, starting at the tips. I haven’t even watered him yet so I’m not sure what’s going on here. Please help! Thanks, Erin

 

Hi Erin,

Yellow leaves are an indication that the plant has been over-watered or severely under-watered. So you need to check the soil at the bottom of the pot to see if  it is wet or dry.

ZZ plants do not like wet feet, so allow the soil to dry out before watering. These plants have thick roots called rhizomes that store water, so when in doubt, do not water. Whe the plump leaves have become flat, it is a sign that the plant needs water. Unlike most plants, ZZ plants are very forgiving, allowing you to over-water a few times before showing signs of serious damage. In very warm weather, a ZZ plant may need water every 7-10 days. In cooler weather, the plant may go 2-3 weeks before drying out. When you do water, water well enough so that the water comes out the drip holes in the bottom of the pot.(there must be drip holes so the excess water does not build up in the soi).  Do not allow the plant to sit in the excess water that may accumulate in the saucer.

 

Learn how to identify, care for , and grow a ZZ plant, Zamioculcas zamiifolia
ZZ Plant
Zamioculcas zamiifolia

 

You can read all my care tips for a ZZ plant in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/zz-plant-zamioculcas-zamiifolia-how-to-grow-care-for-a-zz-plant

ZZ plants, Zamioculcas zamiifolia, are very  poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants plants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them.