Why Pothos Plant Gets Yellow Leaves

Why are the leaves on my pothos plant turning yellow? How can I fix this?

Why a pothos plant gets yellow leaves: Yellow leaves on a pothos plant are usually the result of a watering problem. If there are both yellow and brown discoloration on the same leaf, it is likely due to overwatering. If there are bright yellow leaves, as well as crispy, brown spotting on other leaves, then it could be underwatering. Plants can be saved if under watered but over-watering is the main reason a pothos plant dies. Water well and then allow the top 50% of the soil to dry out before watering again.

How to care for an over -watered pothos plant: Your plant looks like it is over- watered. Get rid of all the wet soil and allow the plant to sit out bare root over- night. Using fresh, loose soil,  re-pot in a small container with drip holes in the bottom. The container should only be 1″-2″ larger than the rootball of the plant. Place your pothos plant in medium light and don’t water until the leaves become soft and droop a little.

You can read all my care tips for a pothos plant in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/pothos-plant-how-to-grow-care-epipremnum

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them.