Why Sansevieria (Snake Plant) Falling Over

A coworker has given me her snake plant. It’s quite large and planted in a 12″ pot. The snake plants I’ve seen have leaves that stand straight up. This one, however, is falling over. Many of them are about 36″ in length. There seems to be no support whatsoever. Is there a way of fixing this poor plant or is it doomed?

Hi Lesley,

Snake plants, sansevieria, have very small, shallow roots and need to planted in containers that are deeper than they are wide. A 36″ tall Sansevieria needs to be in a container at least 12″-14″ deep to prevent it from falling over. Gently take your plant out of its container & shake off the soil. When you re-pot it, be sure at least the bottom 8″ of the stems are covered in soil and that the stems are very close to each other. Plant you sansevieria in a good, rich, organic soil that drains quickly. If the soil in the pot isn’t draining well, add some sand. These plants like to be root bound so be sure the width of the plant container is no more than 8″.

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..