Why Does a Desert Rose Plant Lose Leaves?

Hi, I have a Desert Rose plant and every time a leaf grows the tip turns brown, the leaf dies and falls off. I’ve read they like it hot and this past summer it stayed outside in direct morning sun and got watered every couple of days. I hope you can help. Thanks, Glenda

Hi Glenda,

Leaves fall off a Desert Rose plant when it is over -watered. The fat bulbous trunk of a Desert Rose plant stores water, so allow the soil to dry out before watering. If the soil becomes excessively dry, the plant goes dormant, once you give it a little water it quickly wakes up and starts growing again. A Desert Rose plant usually needs water about once week or even less. You must check the soil at least 1/2 way down before watering. If the soil is damp, do not water.

This braided trunk and small pink flowers on Desert Rose Plant
Desert Rose Plant
by Anna Mirizio

You can read all my care tips on how to grow a Desert Rose plant in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/desert-rose-plant-how-to-grow-care-adenium-obesum

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..