Why Do my Dieffenbachia HousePlants Die?

I have had alot of luck with houseplants, but every time I get a Diffenbachia Plant I manage to kill it. In July 2015 I bought a little plant in a 4inch pot, it was beautiful, it slowly began to loose a leaf from the bottom an now has one leaf starting to sprout, I would really love to save this plant. I know it gets good light I am very careful with watering, I use the vitamin you recomended superthriveSuperthrive combines vitamins and hormones to encourage plant growth both above and below the soil line. It's not a plant food so it needs to be used in addition to your regular plant food; the two can be used at the same time. Just put a few drops into your watering can & that's all that's needed to improve the health & appearance of your plants. If your plants are in real trouble, add about 10 drops per 2 gallons of water. SuperThrive works best when the soil is dry. on all my houseplants. Can you please help Judy? Thanks, Susan

 

Hi Susan,

Learn why dieffenbachia plants lose leaves and how to prevent it at Houseplant411.com

Here are a couple of reasons why your dieffenbachia plant may be losing leaves.

Light: Dieffenbachia plants require bright in direct light. Give the plant a 1/4 turn every week so all parts of the plant, especially the bottom, get adequate light.

These plants are very poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants so keep them away from small children and pets.