What Type of Plant is this and How do I Care for It?

Hi Judy,
Can you identify what type of plant this is ? I have inherited it and want to make sure I take care of it properly

Thanks

Gary

 

Hi Gee,

 

 

Your plant looks is a ZZ Plant, Zamioculcas zamiifolia. These are beautiful, unique, almost impossible to kill succulent houseplants that burst onto the market a few years ago. ZZ HousePlants do well in low light or bright indirect light. Since a Zamioculcas zamiifolia is a slow growing plant even in good light, in low light a ZZ Plant rarely produces new leaves. Direct sun burns the leaves of a ZZ Plant. Over-watering is the only way to kill Zamioculcas zamiifolia houseplants. ZZ houseplants do not like wet feet so allow the soil to thoroughly dry out before watering. ZZ Plants have thick roots called rhizomes that store water so when in doubt, do not water. Unlike most plants, Zamioculcas are very forgiving plants, allowing you to over-water a few times before showing signs of serious damage. Yellow leaves on a ZZ Plant are an indication that the plant has been over-watered. You can read all my care tips for a ZZ plant in the Popular Houseplants section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/zamioculcas-zamiifolia-zz-plant-how-to-grow-care

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..