What is This Plant? Peperomia caperata “Schumi Red”

I just received this as a gift today and I would like to know what it is and how to care for it! Thanks Judy!

Hi,

IMG_0674

Your plant is called a Peperomia caperata “Schumi Red.” Peperomia Plants grow best in bright indirect light provided by a west or east facing window. They also do well under florescent lights. Insufficient light causes the slow growing Peperomia to stop growing all together. Direct sunlight burns the leaves. Allow the top 50% of the soil to dry out before watering.  Root-rot is the direct result of over–watering. Peperomia Plants do well when watered from the bottom. This technique keeps water off of the leaves and helps prevent plant diseases. The thick leaves of a Peperomia Plant hold water and allow it to withstand long periods without moisture.

You can read more of my plant care tips for Peperomia Plants in the Popular Houseplant section of the website. The picture is of a different variety but the care is the same.

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..

kindle-ready-front-cover