What is this Plant?

Someone gave me two of these plants. They had no idea what they were. Trying to figure out what they are and how to take care of them.

Hi Mindie,

Your plant is a Dracaena janet craig. Dracaena janet craig plants grow slowly in low light, but grow much faster in medium light. When the light is extremely low, new leaves will be smaller and narrower. Placing a Dracaena janet craig in the sun for even a few minutes, burns the leaves. When in doubt, do not water! Allow the top 50% of the soil to dry out before watering. The lower the light, the less often a dracaena needs water. Fluoride, chlorine, or salt in the water causes brown tips and yellow spots on the leaves. You can read all my care tips for a Dracaena janet craig in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/dracaena-janet-craig-plant-how-to-grow-care-for-dracaena-plant

Dracaena janet craig plants are considered by some to be slightly poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants, especially to dogs and cats. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..