What is a live Christmas Tree?

You keep mentioning live Christmas trees on Twitter and in AskJudy. What do you mean by that? I would like to get a live Christmas Tree but don’t know what it is?

Hi Ramona,

Norfolk Island Pine Trees (living Christmas Trees), sometimes simply called Star Pines or Norfolk Pines, are stately symmetrical evergreens that thrive indoors in very bright light. Many people do use Norfolk Pines as living Christmas Trees, but be careful not to dry them out with too many lights. Norfolk Pines come small enough to sit on a table and large enough to fill the corner of a large room with tall ceilings.

Green nettle stems on Norfolk Star Pine
Norfolk Island Star Pine

These plants need very bright light and should be turned often so that they stay symmetrical looking. You can read all of my care tips in the Popular Houseplant section of the website: https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/norfolk-island-pine-how-to-grow-care

These plants are not considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants but if a child or pet eats the pine needlesLeaves that are slender, narrow, and do not have a leaf blade are called needles. it will cause severe stomach problems. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..

516vfyeqkul