Shamrock Plant Care Tips

I have a Shamrock Plant and it was doing poorly so I moved it to a sunnier window and now it is very full and takes up the whole pot. Should I divide it when it goes dormant or allow it to get root bound? Thank you, Sallee

Hi Sallee

Shamrock plants like to be root bound in small pots to prevent over watering. So I wouldn’t recommend dividing it until it becomes root bound. Then, when you do divide your shamrock plant,  plant the sections in containers that are only an inch or two larger than the root ball. After a Shamrock Plant blooms, the leaves  turn yellow, droop, and need to be pulled off. This usually occurs in the late fall. While your Shamrock Plant appears to be dying, it is really going into a resting or dormant phase. After all of the leaves have died, stop watering and move your Shamrock Plant to a cool area. with low light. Green Shamrock Plants need to rest for 2-3 months while Purple Shamrock Plants need to rest for about one month. After your Shamrock Plant has rested for the appropriate amount of time, move it back into bright indirect light and water as usual. Once new growth appears, fertilize with a basic houseplant food at ½ the recommended strength. Shamrock Plants may go dormant several times a year.

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants if eaten in large quantities and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..

Green Shamrock Plant with White flowers
Shamrock Plant