Sago Palm- How to Water

I purchased a small Sago Palm to keep in my bathroom. It came in a pot that had small decorative rocks around the palm. I can’t even get get my finger in to see if dirt is dry. Can it be watered from the bottom or what is the best way to water it?

Hi Cheri,

What kind of light does your bathroom have? A Sago Palm needs bright light with a little direct sun in the morning. Give a Sago Palm  ¼ of a turn each week to keep it from growing toward the light. In bright light a Sago Palm produces short thick fronds, in lower light the fronds are long and thin.

 

Rugged trunk topped with stiff narrow arching fronds growing in circular pattern.
Sago Palm

You can water from the bottom, but you still have to be able to know when it is time to set the plant in a saucer of water. You cannot leave it in water all of the time. The top 75% of the soil needs to dry out thoroughly before you water. Water more sparingly in the winter when there is less light and cooler temperatures. Be careful never to get water in the crown of a Sago Palm, this can cause crown rot disease and the eventual death of the plant. Sago Palms should never be allowed to totally dry out. If you don’t want to remove the decorative rocks so you can feel the soil, you should probably get a water meter. Stick a water meter deep into the soil to see how wet the soil is at the bottom of the pot. You can read more about water meters in the Glossary of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/glossary/water-meter-soil-moisture-meter-how-to-use

You can read all my care tips for a Sago Palm in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/sago-palm-cycas-revoluta-how-to-grow-care-for-sago-palm

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them.