Plants Need to Be Identified Please!

Hi Judy, I have several plants that I inherited when I purchased my house but I have no clue on what they are and how to care for them – one is on its way out the door and I don’t think there’s any hope. Please take a look at the attached photos.

Hi Sunada,

This is a Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum). The leaves are turning black/brown because you are over watering!!! You can find all my care tips for a Peace Lily in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/peace-lily-spathiphyllum-how-to-grow-care-for-peace-lily

This is a Bromeliad that has finished blooming. These plants rarely bloom again indoors and most people throw the plant out once the blooms have died. You can read all about Bromeliads in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/bromeliads-how-to-grow-care-tips

This looks like a type of Pothos plant, probably a Marble Queen variety. If you could email a close up of an entire leaf I could be more certain. Here’s what a Marble Queen Pothos looks like, what do you think? You can read about this plant also in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/marble-queen-pothos-how-to-grow-care

The Peace Lily and the Marble Queen Pothos are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..