Plant to Cats

Hi Judy! My neighbour is offering me this plant but doesn’t know what it is. She can’t take care of it anymore and knowing that I live in a place with tall ceilings, she wants to pass it off to me. I want to know what type of plant it is so I can accurately assess whether I can take care of it (I have two cats!) Thanks for your help 🙂

Hi Lindsay,

The plant is a Dracaena janet craig.  Dracaena plants thrive on neglect, grow well in low light, and need very little water. Do not feed dracaena plants very often. Fertilize once or twice in the spring and summer with a basic houseplant food diluted to 1/2 the recommended strength. Too much fertilizer is not absorbed, stays in the soil, and causes leaf tip burn. You can read all my care tips on how to grow a Dracaena janet craig in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/dracaena-janet-craig-plant-how-to-grow-care

Dracaena janet craig plants are considered by some to be slightly poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants, especially to dogs and cats. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..