How to Grow a Moses in the Cradle Plant

Hi Judy! Hoping you can tell me what this plant is. My mom got it at a garage sale for like three bucks. I’ve had it for three months. When I got it, I thinned it and cut out the dead stems. It was doing well and even bloomed! Within the last month it is starting to suddenly die. The only thing I can think is now we are running our air conditioner. It’s not directly under it but maybe too close and getting cold. There is a ton of new dead and all the newest green stems and leaves are limp and break easily. I just cut out the dead and thinned again. Will move it to a new area in the house to see if that helps. I really want to keep it alive but have such a black thumb. Can you help!?!
Tammy

Hi Tammy,

Your plant looks like a Moses in the Cradle plant (in trouble).

green and Purple Moses in the Cradle plant
Moses in the Cradle Plant
Oyster Plant

Moses In the Cradle plants produce rosettes of long, waxy, sword-shaped leaves that are glossy green, green and purple, or lavender with a white stripe on top; all varieties have a purple underside. The very small white flowers, tucked away in a boat shaped bract, give Moses-in-the-Cradle plants their many common names.

These plants need very bright lightVery few houseplants should be placed in direct sun. High light refers only to bright indirect light since direct sun often burns the leaves of indoor houseplants. An area that is too hot and dry encourages Spider Mites and causes blooms to quickly fade. A northern exposure really doesn't provide enough light for high light plants. These plants need to be placed directly in front of an east-facing window, within 1-3 feet of a west-facing window, and within 5 ft. of a south facing window. A high light area has over 300 ft. candles of light. for at least 6-8 hours a day. Feed monthly in the spring and summer with a well balanced plant food at 1/2 the recommended strength. I recommend vigoroulsy pruning a Moses in the Cradle in the spring to keep the plant full and bushy. Always wear gloves since the sap in the plant is toxic and very irritating.

You can read all my care tips on how to grow and care for a Moses in the Cradle plant in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/moses-in-the-cradle-plant-how-to-grow-care-guide

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..