Plant Identification: Dieffenbachia

Hi, I`ve just been given this plant by someone who didn`t know what it was, and I have no idea either. My best guess is some form of Dieffenbachia, but that`s only a guess.
Thanks

 

 

Hi Tony,

 

 

You are exactly right. Your plant is a Dieffenbaachia compacta. Some call it Dieffenbachia “exotica”).

These plants are considered very poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..

Dieffenbachia plants require medium to high light. Direct sun burns the leaves and too much bright light causes the vibrant leaf color to fade. When a dieffenbachia does not get enough light, the new leaves are small and far apart on the stem.

Water  well and then allow the top 2″-3″ of soil to dry out before watering again. These plants do best when watered on a regular schedule.

Fertilize only when the plant is actively producing new leaves. Most dieffenbachia plants should be fed every two weeks in the summer and once a month in the spring and fall. Never feed a dieffenbachia in the winter. Excess plant food causes browning around the edges of the leaves.

Dieffenbachia plants prefer temperatures above 60°F (15.6°C). The lower leaves on a dieffenbachia turn yellow when exposed to cold drafts from doors, windows, or air conditioners.

You can read more care tips for a dieffenbachia in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/dieffenbachia-how-to-grow-care