Plant Identification – Desert Rose Plant

I have this plant don’t know what it is. I was hoping you could help me identify my plant so I can give it the best care.

Hi Michael,

Your plant looks like a Desert Rose plant (ADENIUM OBESUM). This plant is a type of caudiciform or “fat plant” because of its thick bulbous base. When grown indoors, a Desert Rose grows 2ft-5ft in height and 1ft-3 ft in width. Desert Rose plants have beautiful flowers and sparse small leaves. The 1″-2″ saucer shaped blooms are quite a conversation piece and can be red, pink, or white. The fat, bulbous trunk  is usually partially or completely buried in the soil. This is one of my favorite indoor flowering plants because it is so unusual and thrives on neglect. Here is a picture of a healthy one in bloom with a fantastic base.

Pink flowers on Desert Rose plant with fat, bulbous base.
Desert Rose Plant
Adenium Obesum

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..

You can read all my care tips on how to grow a Desert Rose plant in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/desert-rose-how-to-grow-care-for-a-desert-rose-plant