Plant Identification: Beaumontia grandiflora or Easter Lily Vine

Hi Judy,
I have this plant given to me by a friend. As soon as I planted it, it grew into a vine and covered most of the space outdoor. It has big leaves and and blooms from Dec to Feb with big white flowers in bunch. After 3 years I saw big ‘fruits’, not sure if that is edible though. Can you help identify this plant? I have attached images in this post. Thanks a lot. Ceres.

Hi Ceres,

Your plant is a Beaumontia grandiflora or Easter Lily Vine.

This is a really impressive climbing vine with large leaves and beautiful big flowers. It can grow as tall as 20ft. high and 20ft. wide.  It does need a very strong trellis or some other support. This gorgeous plant has large glossy green leaves that be as large as 8-9 inches. The white flowers, which usually appear in late spring, are 3-6 inches long and about 3-5 inches wide. These fragrant blooms are trumpet shaped and are a prettier version of the usual Easter Lily.

These plants like full sun or partial shade, plenty of water, and a good rich soil. Prune the vine when it finishes blooming to encourge more flowers the following year.

This is a poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants plant so please be careful that small children and pets don’t eat any part of it. Read more about common plants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..

White Easter Lily Vine
Beaumontia grandiflora Easter Lily Vine