Plant Identification and Care Tips- Please

Hi Judy! I am very new to taking care of plants; hoping to make a hobby of it. I have become overwhelmed trying to figure out what this plant is. It’s probably about a year old and the leaves look so similar to so many different plants. So any help you can give will be greatly appreciated. The ends of the leaves are turning a crisp brown/black, the stems of the leaves closer to the soil seem too thin and fanned out. I’m also fairly certain it needs repotting. thank you! ~Lynsey

Hi Lynsey,

Your plant looks like an over watered  Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum). If the plant leaves severely droop and then you water, the entire leaf will turn yellow; only the leaf tips turn black/brown when you are giving the plant a little too much water. Wait until the leaves droop a little before watering. Fertilize every other month when a Peace Lily is actively growing with a basic houseplant food diluted to 1/2 the recommended strength. Too much fertilizer will also burn the leaf tips.

A Peace Lily originated in tropical forests around the world where it grew close to the forest floor in the shade of the larger plants. This helps explain why Peace Lily plants are one of very few indoor plants that can bloom even in medium to low light. NASA lists the Peace Lily as one of the best plants to clean the air of harmful toxins such as benzene, formaldehyde, and carbon monoxide.

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..

You can read all my care tips in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/peace-lily-spathiphyllum-how-to-grow-care-for-peace-lily