“Pink Butterflies” Kalanchoe Care Tips

I have two Mother of Thousands Kalanchoes. The green one has leaflets of the edges of the leaves and when they fall off in the soil new plants start to grow. When the one with pink leaflets drops the little leaves, nothing ever grows. What should I do to fix this.

 

 

Hi Tony,

Pinl leaflets along leaf edges of plant
Kalanchoe Pink Butterflies
Tiny leaflets cover edges of plant leaves on Kalanchoe Mother of Thousands
Kalanchoe Mother of Thousands

 

Kalanchoe “pink butterflies” is a hybrid and cannot propagate by dropping leaflets into the soil the same way a Kalanchoe “Mother of Thousands” does. The pink leaflets have no chlorophyll in them. There is nothing you can do that will help the “pink butterflies” variety propagate the way the solid green variety does.

Like all kalanchoe plants both the green and the pink varieties like very bright lightVery few houseplants should be placed in direct sun. High light refers only to bright indirect light since direct sun often burns the leaves of indoor houseplants. An area that is too hot and dry encourages Spider Mites and causes blooms to quickly fade. A northern exposure really doesn't provide enough light for high light plants. These plants need to be placed directly in front of an east-facing window, within 1-3 feet of a west-facing window, and within 5 ft. of a south facing window. A high light area has over 300 ft. candles of light. and even some direct sun in the winter and fall. Kalanchoes are easily over-watered which causes root-rot so allow the top 50% of the soil to dry-out before watering. You can read all my tips for kalanchoes in the Popular Houseplant section of the website. The picture is of a different variety, but the care is the same.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/kalanchoe-how-to-grow-care-guide

All parts of these plants, even the water they sit in, are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..