Living Christmas Tree-Norfolk Pine

Hello!! I am a “black-thumb”! My boss has asked me to care for this tree that is in our office, and I have no clue what it is, or how to care for it. I just pulled A LOT of dead foliage off of it (actually it fell off of the tree when I touched it). Please help me!!

Thank you!

Shannon

Hi Shannon,

Your plant is called a Norfolk Island Pine, sometimes called a Star Pine, and sometimes called a Norfolk Island Star Pine.

Norfolk Island Pine Trees require very bright light, even some direct sun. Bottom branches fall off when a Norfolk Island Pine doesn’t get enough light.

Keep the soil of a Norfolk Island Pine moist at all times. Yellow needles  can indicate that the soil is too wet or too dry. If the soil gets completely dry, entire fronds turn gray, brittle, and fall off. This sounds like what is happening to your plant.

Feed a Norfolk Island Pine every other week in the spring, summer,and fall. Use a well balanced liquid plant fertilizer diluted to 1/2 the recommended strength.

You can read all my care tips for a Norfolk Pine in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/norfolk-island-pine-how-to-grow-care

These plants are not considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and if a child or pet eats the pine needlesLeaves that are slender, narrow, and do not have a leaf blade are called needles. it will cause severe stomach problems. Read about more common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..

516vfyeqkul