Mystery house plant

Hello Judy, I recently became the new home of “Helen” the house plant. The woman who sold her to me said this plant is 45 years old. WOW! What is Helen? She needs to be repotted and I’m terrified to kill her from the shock of replanting. She is clearly very forgiving. She was in desprerate need of water too. She is getting greener now. She is jam packed in this pot. She also has sharp little thorns you cant see in the pic. Please help keep Helen goin another 45 years. Thankfully JT.

Hi JT,

“Helen” is an Asparagus Fern. Here is a picture of what she will hopefully look like one day.

Asparagus Fern are covered in tiny needle-like bright green
Asparagus Fern

Asparagus Ferns looks beautiful sitting on a table or hanging in a basket. During the summer, these ferns are perfect plants to hang in a sunny spot on your porch. In the proper location, Asparagus Ferns grow over 2-3ft. wide with cascading trailers 2-4ft.in length. The long graceful vines of an Asparagus Fern are covered in tiny needle-like bright green leaves; an added plus are the small white flowers that eventually turn into red berries. Be careful, hidden in the lush foliage of an Asparagus Fern are little sharp thorns that are difficult to see. You can read all my care tips on how to grow an Asparagus fern in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/asparagus-fern-how-to-grow-care-tips

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..