Is this plant poisonous to cats

I picked up this plant and am not sure what it is or if it is toxic to cats? Thanks!

Hi Lauryl,


Your plant is a type of philodendron, probably a “congo” or “imperial green.” All philodendron plants are very poisonous and should be kept away from cats, other pets, and small children. All parts of the plant contain calcium oxalates and can cause your cat to experience pain, drooling, vomiting, and breathing difficulties.

You might be interested in getting a copy of my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat! A Guide to Poisonous HousePlants. Having this information handy could help when you’re about to purchase a new plant.

You can order the book in paperback ($14.95) with full color pictures )

Or in digital format ($4.49),  for your smart phone, tablet, kindle, or other ebook reader.  

If you order a digital version, be sure your ebook reader is capable of showing the plant pictures in color.