Is this a Chinese Evergreen Plant?
Hi Judy- Thank you for your help. I am trying to identify a plant I have had a long time. I was looking at the common house plants listed on here. Is it a Chinese Evergreen? Best, Mel
Hi Melissa ,
Your plant is a Chinese Evergreen, probably the Emerald Beauty variety.
Chinese Evergreen plants are probably the only indoor plant with large, colorful, variegated leaves that can live in low-light conditions. If placed in medium light, these plants grow more quickly. Allow the top 25-30% of the soil to dry out before watering. When the soil of a Chinese Evergreen plant is too wet, the stems become mushy and die. When the soil gets too dry or too wet, yellow leaves develop. The lower the light, the less water and the less plant food a Chinese evergreen needs.
All Chinese Evergreen plants are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222. More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants, so please keep your plant away from small children and pets. You can read more about Chinese Evergreen houseplants in the Popular HousePlant section of the website.