Identify Outdoor Indoor House Plant

My grandfather recently passes away and he left me an outdoor hanging plant that he inherited from his mother. This plant is very special to me, however I have no idea what the name of the plant is so I can properly care for it. If you could take a look at the attached pictures and identify the name of the plant and offer some water, light and feeding recomendations I would be so grateful!



Your plant looks like a variegated Hoya Plant. This is a succulent plantLearn the definition of a succulent plant and why they are called a "fat plant." that likes bright indirect lightVery few houseplants should be placed in direct sun. High light refers only to bright indirect light since direct sun often burns the leaves of indoor houseplants. An area that is too hot and dry encourages Spider Mites and causes blooms to quickly fade. A northern exposure really doesn't provide enough light for high light plants. These plants need to be placed directly in front of an east-facing window, within 1-3 feet of a west-facing window, and within 5 ft. of a south facing window. A high light area has over 300 ft. candles of light. and dry soil. Hoya Plants can adapt to almost any moderate temperature, but prefer 60-65 degrees at night and 70-80 degrees during the day. So be sure to bring your Hoya Plant indoors before temp eratures get too cold. You can read more plant care advice on how to grow hoya plants in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

High Resolution Front Cover.6092188

Learn about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants