Please Identify my Office Plant

Hello! My place of work is cleaning out an office after the previous occupant has retired and I offered to care for the plant, however, I have no clue what it is or how to properly care for it. Could you help me identify this plant please?

Hi Alexandra,

Light and dark green Chinese Evergreen plant, Aglaonema
Chinese Evergreen
Aglaonema

You plant is called a Chinese Evergreen plant (aglaonema).

Chinese Evergreen plants are one of the few houseplants with light green and gray in the leaves that can grow in low light.  Never place a Chinese Evergreen in the direct sun.

Allow the top 25-30% of the soil of a Chinese Evergreen plant to dry out before watering. When the soil of a Chinese Evergreen Plant stays too wet for a long period of time, the stalks rot and die. If the soil of a Chinese Evergreen plant gets too dry or too wet, yellow leaves develop.

Chinese Evergreen plants do not need much fertilizer. Feed every other month with a basic houseplant food at 1/4 the recommended strength when the plant is actively growing. I think the yellow tips on the leaves of your plant are due to too much plant food or using water that is too salty (never use water that has passed through a softener). If your water has a lot of chlorine or fluoride in, allow it to sit out over night before using it.

You can read all my care tips in the Popular Houseplant section the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/chinese-evergreen-plant-amelia-how-to-grow

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..