Identify my plant, please!

How often should I water this houseplant?

Hi Kelly,

Green and yellow pothos plant
Pothos Pole Plant

Your plant is a pothos plant. You can easily kill these plants by over watering, so when in doubt do not water. Water a pothos plant well, until the water comes out the drip holes in the bottom of the pot, and then allow the top 50% of the soil to dry out before watering again. Over-watering is almost the only way to kill a pothos. Bright yellow leaves indicate that a pothos has gotten too dry before you watered it. This can cause you to lose a few laves but the plant will be fine. New growth and parts of older leaves turn black when a pothos plant is over-watered. This indicates that the roots have stayed too wet and may be damaged. I recommend waiting until the leaves get a little soft and droop just a tiny bit before watering a pothos. Never allow a pothos to sit in water for more than 10 minutes.

You can read all of my care tips for a pothos in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/pothos-plant-how-to-grow-care

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..