Identify and How to Care for of Unknown Plant

I recently received this large house plant. However, I have no idea what it is or how to care for it. Please help!

Hi Jennie,

Your plant is called a Golden Pothos plant.

It likes medium light but no direct sun.

Water a pothos plant well and then allow the top 50% of the soil to dry out before watering again. Over-watering is almost the only way to kill a pothos. Bright yellow leaves appearing after you water indicates that the plant has gotten too dry before you watered it. New growth and older leaves turn black when a pothos plant is over-watered. I usually let mine droop just a little before watering.

Fertilize pothos plants every two weeks in the spring and summer when the plant is actively growing and monthly in the fall and winter. Use a basic well-balanced plant food diluted to ½ the recommended strength.

Pothos plants do well in temperatures between 55° and 80°. If temperatures drop below 45°, a pothos plant stops growing and the leaves turn black.

You can read all my care tips in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/pothos-plant-how-to-grow-care

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..