Identify and Care for this Plant?- Croton “Mammy”

Hello Judy. Found your site online when I was trying to find the name of the attached plant. Would you happen to know what it is?

 

 

Hi,

Your plant is a type of Croton Plant, there are many different varieties but yours looks like a Croton “Mammy.”

Croton plants need bright, indirect light to maintain their colorful leaves. If there is not enough light,  new leaves are predominantly green rather than yellow, red, and orange. Too much direct sun causes phototoridation, a condition that makes Croton leaves gray and dull looking.

Allow the top 25%-30% of the soil to dry out before watering. Crunchy leaves indicate over-watering not under watering. The leaves become soft and droop a little when your plant needs water. When a croton is severely over or under-watered leaves drop off.

There are complete care tips for a croton in the Popular Houseplant section of the website. The picture is of a different variety but the care is the same.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/croton-how-to-grow-care-for-croton-plants

Croton plants are a little temperamental and not as forgiving as some other houseplants, but are a bright addition to any home or office.

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..