I Need Help Identifying my Plant
I was given this plant from my sister when her husband passed away. I’m not sure what it is or why we are having such a hard time keeping it alive. We do have hard water and we live in north Texas where it is pretty dry. We water it everyday and it still is very dry and wilting with lots of brown. Please help! I can’t let this plant die.
Your plant is called an Arrowhead plant (Nepthytis). The problem is that you are over watering the plant. NO indoor houseplant needs water every day!!!! With an Arrowhead plant you should water well (until the water comes out the drip holes in the bottom of the pot) and then allow the top 50% of the soil dry out before watering again. An Arrowhead plant droops when it needs water, but perks up quickly; when over- watered, these plants develop root rot and die.
An Arrowhead plant with green leaves can live in low to medium light. Arrowhead plant varieties with white, pink, or burgundy leaves need medium to high light. The leaves of all Arrowhead plants are “bleached” and turn an ugly gray-green color when placed in the direct sun.
You can read all my care tips in the Popular Houseplant section of the website. The picture is of a different variety, but the care is the same.
These plants are considered poisonous and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonous in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants.