How to Prune & Propagate an Angel Wing Begonia

Hi, Judy –
I’m hoping you can help me! A friend gave a cutting of this plant almost a year ago and it has grown beautifully, including blooming over the winter. She gave it to me in a small vase; the roots were just in water and I repotted it when I thought it had a good root mass. We moved a month ago and it was left outside for one night; it was very humid at the time. It looks to be recovering up top but I would like some advice on what I can do to help it. Should I prune it at all? Repot?

 

Hi Amy,

 

Silver speckled, Large leaf Angel Wing begonia Plant
Angel Wing Begonia Plant

Pinching back your Angel Wing  Begonia is the best way to get it to become bushy. Use a clean, sharp scissors or a knife to cut the stems back to a leaf node. A node is where a leaf joins the stem. Begonias can be cut back to within 3-5 inches of the soil to help them regrow.  Your plant will then send out lots of new side growth. Here’s a picture of a healthy, blooming Angel Wing Begonia.

Image helps identify, care for, and grow an Angel Wing begonia
Angel Wing Begonia

 

You can use the stem cuttings to propagate new Angel Wing begonia plants. Cut the stem pieces you removed into a 3”-5” sections. Each piece should have two to four nodes on it. Dip the cut ends of these stems into a small amount of Rooting Hormone and plant them in a 4″ container of perlite or sand. Be sure there are drip holes in the bottom of the pot. You can read all my care tips for an Angel Wing begonia in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/angel-wing-begonia-how-to-grow-care-guide

Begonias are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in my book Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..