How to Prune a Large Split Leaf Philodendron

Hi.
This beautiful plant is thriving, but needs some taming or repotting.
Should I split the plant up or repot?

Hi Marta,

Your plant is a split leaf philodendron; these plants tend to take up a great deal of room as they mature and need constant pruning to keep them manageable. If you move it to a larger pot it will just keep growing and taking up even more room, so I don’t think that’s a very good option. You can carefully separate the root ball into two sections. Plant each section in a pot a few inches larger than the root ball.

These plants like to be pruned aggressively. You can cut off some stems from the existing plant and use them to start new plants. Use a sharp, clean scissors or razor blade to cut off some healthy stem just below a leaf node. A node is where a leaf joins the stem. Remove leaves from the bottom 1/3 of the stems. Dip the cut end of the stems into a small amount of rooting hormone that contains a fungicide. Plant the stem in a 6″pot (drip holes in the bottom) of moist potting soil. The original plant will look and grow better once pruned.

You can read all my care tips for a Split Leaf Philodendron in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/split-leaf-philodendron-how-to-grow-care-monstera-delicious

These plants are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Always wear gloves when pruning and wash your hands and tools well when finished. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..