How to Grow & Care for a Sansevieria “Hahnii”

My sister gave me this plant, said it was some type of ivy but she wasn’t sure. This plant keeps having babies (which I don’t mind) and you don’t need to put it in direct sunlight. I originally thought it was a Cast-Iron plant but it wasn’t; I also thought it was a Chinese evergreen but yet again it wasn’t. I really want to know what kind of plant it is.
Thank you,
Marshyfan

Hi Marshy,

See a picture and learn how to identify and care for a sansevieria hahnii

Your plant is a variety of sansevieria called “hahnii”.  This type of easy care sansevieria has very short leaves as compared to the usual sansevieria trifasciats that has tall leaves. You can read all my care tips and information on how to grow sansevierias  in the Popular Houseplants section of the website. The picture is of a different variety, but the care is the same.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/sansevieria-snake-plant-how-to-grow

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..