How to Grow a Shamrock Plant.

Inherited this plant and can’t find its identity. Thank you for your help.

Hi Regina,

Your plant is usually referred to as a Purple Shamrock. It’s real name is  Oxalis triangularis, or False Shamrock Plant. It has dark purple leaves and pinkish lavender flowers. ”Oxalis regnelli, the green leafed version of the Shamrock Plant, has small delicate white flowers. Shamrock Plants are bulb plants and often die back after they bloom. Don’t throw them out, they just need a little rest before starting to grow again.

Shamrock Plants need bright indirect light to grow well and produce flowers. They can often bloom all winter if kept in a sunny spot.

Keep the soil  barely moist but never soggy; allow the top 2” to dry out before watering. It’s best to water a Shamrock Plant from the bottom so that the thin fragile stems of the plant don’t get water logged and the soil stays loose.

Feed a Shamrock Plant monthly in the spring and summer when it is actively growing with a basic houseplant food at ½ the recommended strength. Never feed a Shamrock Plant when it is dormant and the bulbs are resting.

You can read all my care tips for a Shamrock plant in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/shamrock-plant-how-to-grow-care

These plants are considered slightly poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants if eaten in large quantities and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..