Euphorbia Leuconeura (Madagascar Jewel Plant)-How to Grow Care
Could you please tell me what this plant is?
It is a picture of a plant that I got from a lady from California that has since passed away. It looks tropical and also has a cactus look. 1 inch square stalk, but no spikes or spines anywhere. a small round pod appears and spits small black seeds everywhere. I would appreciate any help you could give to help id this plant Thanks Randy
Your plant with the distinctive square stem, is a Euphorbia Leuconeura or Madagascar Jewel Plant. It can grow as tall as 6 ft, resembling a small branching tree. Although Madagascar Jewel plants prefer dry soil, they are less susceptible to over-watering than many other Succulent PlantsLearn the definition of a succulent plant and why they are called a "fat plant.". This unique Euphorbia propagates by shooting its seeds into the air and doesn’t mind low humidity. bright indirect lightVery few houseplants should be placed in direct sun. High light refers only to bright indirect light since direct sun often burns the leaves of indoor houseplants. An area that is too hot and dry encourages Spider Mites and causes blooms to quickly fade. A northern exposure really doesn't provide enough light for high light plants. These plants need to be placed directly in front of an east-facing window, within 1-3 feet of a west-facing window, and within 5 ft. of a south facing window. A high light area has over 300 ft. candles of light. helps the plant bloom. When damaged Euphorbia Leuconeura secretes a poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222. More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants white latex sap that causes severe skin irritations so always wear gloves when handling a Madagascar Jewel Plant.