How to Get an Amaryllis Plant to ReBloom

Judy,
I live in Tucson/AZ .. zone 9/10 and have an Amaryllis bulb from last Christmas I would it to bloom again this year. After reading the info on your website, I probably did everything wrong. It is probably underfed but alive and even has a pup! Pls guide me thru the process of encouraging blooms.
Thanks, Julie

Hi Julie,

Here are some care tips to help an Amaryllis bloom year after year.

Proper care after an amaryllis plant has finished blooming for the year is the key to getting it to bloom again year after year.

Once the Amaryllis flower fades, cut the flower off at the top of the stem, do not remove the leaves.

Place your amaryllis in a bright spot and continue to water as needed.

When the stem starts to sag, cut it back to the top of the bulb.

Continue to water and fertilize all summer or at least 5-6 months.

Allow the leaves to fully develop and grow, this nourishes the bulb.

When the leaves turn yellow, usually in the early fall, cut the plant back to 2” from the top of the bulb

Remove the bulb from the soil.

Clean the bulb and place it in a cool dark area, 40°-50°F (4.4°-10.0°C) for a minimum of six weeks.  The refrigerator is okay if there are no apples in it. Apples sterilize Amaryllis bulbs and prevent new growth. Amaryllis bulbs need this rest period in order to bloom.

After six weeks in a cool area remove the Amaryllis bulbs and plant them. Plant the bulbs about eight weeks before you want them to bloom. Flowering time in the winter will be longer than flowering time in the spring.

\

You can read more about how to grow and how to care for  Amaryllis plants in the Popular Houseplants section of houseplant411.com

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/amaryllis-plant-how-to-grow-care-guide

Amaryllis plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Learn more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..