How to Care for an Azalea Plant Gift

I am wondering what kind of plant this is and how to take care of it?

Hi Blett,

Your plant is called an azalea “topiary,” meaning it’s been trained to have a beautiful stem rather than being just a bush.

Azaleas, are related to rhododendrons and blueberries. These plants have terminal blooms, which means the entire plant flowers at one time, making a beautiful display. Since florist azalea plants are different than outdoor azalea plants, they rarely do well planted in your garden. These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..

Azalea plants require bright indirect light while blooming, but no direct sunlight. If there is not enough light the buds of an azalea won’t open. Allow the top 2″-3″ of soil to dry out before watering. Azaleas are acid loving plants; if your water is alkaline add one tablespoon of vinegar to each gallon of water. You can also water azaleas with leftover tea. Large numbers of leaves drop off if the soil is too wet or too dry. Fertilize monthly with an acidic fertilizer diluted to 1/3 the recommended strength. Never fertilize your azalea plant when it is in bloom.

You can read all my care tips in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/azalea-how-to-grow-care-for-azalea-plant