How To Care for a Euphorbia

My mom gave me this plant she calls a Euphorbia droopy-something. She doesn’t know the real name. Do you know of a euphorbia with a name like that? Can you tell me how to grow care for it? Thanks for your help. Stacey

Hi Stacey,

There is a plant called a Euphorbia drupifera. Here’s a picture. Does it look like your plant?

Euphorbias are easy to grow. They love very bright lightVery few houseplants should be placed in direct sun. High light refers only to bright indirect light since direct sun often burns the leaves of indoor houseplants. An area that is too hot and dry encourages Spider Mites and causes blooms to quickly fade. A northern exposure really doesn't provide enough light for high light plants. These plants need to be placed directly in front of an east-facing window, within 1-3 feet of a west-facing window, and within 5 ft. of a south facing window. A high light area has over 300 ft. candles of light., a soil that drains quickly and is allowed to dry out before you water. The only way to kill it is by over watering. Whieflies and powdery mildewPowdery mildew is a plant disease that puts a grayish white powder on plant leaves and stems. View a picture of this plant disease and learn how to treat it. are things to watch out for. Dry leaves and good air circulation prevents the mildew. Always wear gloves when pruning a euphorbia. The milky plant sap is a terrible irritant. The sap is poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants so please keep the plant away from pets and children.