Plant Identification- Croton Gold Dust

Hello Judy! I’ve just brought home a new indoor plant but can’t seem to figure out what species it is. It has yellow mottling on the leaves which the previous owner assured me have always been present, but if this is a symptom of too much light/water/etc. of course I would like to know! Thanks for your help.

Hi Lacy,

Learn how to identify, grow, and care for a croton gold dust
Croton Gold Dust

Your plant is a Croton Golddust. Crotons were originally an outdoor plant and have only become a popular indoor houseplant within the last 15-20 years. They have beautiful multicolored, hard, leathery leaves in red, yellow, green, orange, and black. The leaf shapes on a Croton Plant can be long, narrow, wide, and elliptical.

Crotons grow best in bright indirect light. Leaves fall off when the plant is over -watered so always allow the top 1/3 of the soil to dry out and the leaves to become a little soft before watering. Fertilize a croton monthly in the spring and fall and every two weeks in the summer with a balanced plant food diluted to 1/2 the recommended strength. If your Croton is in a bright sunny spot, but the new leaves are coming in green, reduce the amount of plant food. Too much fertilizer also causes the leaves to curl. You can read all my advice on how to grow and care for a croton in the Popular Houseplant section of the website. The picture is of a different variety, but the care is the same.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/croton-how-to-grow-plant-care

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..