How Do I Pick the Right Amaryllis Flower Bulbs?

I want to plant some Amaryllis bulbs for Christmas, but how do I know which are good? Big ones, small ones? should they have started to sprout so I know they’re good? How many bulbs should I plant in a pot?

Hi Sandee,

Usually, the bigger the size of an amaryllis bulb the greater the number of stems and flowers it produces. All bulbs store the plant energy so the bigger the bulb, the more energy there is to help the plant grow thicker stems, more leaves , and bigger flowers.

The biggest bulbs are the oldest and the most expensive, but they will give you the largest flowers. They will also send up multiple stems weeks apart so you’ll have  more flowers for a longer period of time..

Regular sized amaryllis bulbs are less expensive with smaller flowers; but you can put a 2 or 3 in a single pot to create a pretty arrangement. Usually with the really large bulbs, one per pot works well.

White with red edges Amaryllis plant flowers
Amaryllis picotee

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..