Houseplant identification – Cyclamen Plant

Could you find out what kind of plant this is. Thanks

Hi Cornie,

Red and white flowers on cyclamen plant
Cyclamen Plant

Your plant is a cyclamen.

The flowers come in red, white, pink, and lavender and have a pleasant sweet smell. These little gems grow and re-bloom as indoor houseplants for several years. Here are some care tips:

During the fall and winter, indoor cyclamen plants need bright indirect light. When your cyclamen becomes dormant sometime in the spring, put it in a darker, cooler area until it starts to produce new leaves in the fall.

How you water  is very important. Allow the top 50% of the soil to dry out before watering.  Cyclamen plants should always be watered from the bottom and never watered at the very center of the plant. Once your cyclamen starts to droop a little, place it in a saucer of water for 10 minutes. Allow the excess water in the soil to drain before returning the plant to its decorative container. Cyclamen leaves do not like to be wet, so do not mist and keep them dry at all times. Allowing the plant to droop a little before watering encourages the plant to bloom more.

Feed a Cyclamen house plant monthly in the fall and winter when it’s actively growing with a water-soluble fertilizer reduced to 1/2 the recommended strength.

You can read all my care tips on how to grow a cyclamen plant in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/cyclamen-how-to-grow-care-for-a-cyclamen-plant

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..