Help to identify 2 houseplants

Dear Judy,I recently bought 2 plants at my local flower shop, unfortunately the seller was unable to tell me exactly what species are they. I was wondering if you could help me to identify them ; I know that the first one is probably some kind of a fern, the second one however remains a mystery to me 🙂 Kind regards, Aga

Hi Aga,

Needle like bright green asparagus fern
Asparagus Fern

Your first plant is a type of Asparagus Fern. It’s really not a fern, but a member of the lily family.  It gets its name because new growth looks like tiny asparagus spears. You can read my plant care tips for Asparagus Ferns in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/asparagus-fern-how-to-grow-care-tips

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..

Bright green fluffy, ruffle fern
Fluffy Ruffle Fern

This is a Fluffy Ruffle Fern. Here are some care tips: Medium light, moist soil, feed monthly when actively growing (always dilute plant food to 1/2-1/4 recommended strength), likes high humidity, does well in cooler temperatures.