Help With Identifying My Plant

I have this plant that belonged to my grandmother, who recently passed and I know nothing about it. I do not know what type of plant or how to care for it. I reported it into a larger pot but the leaves are turning yellow from a dark green.

Hi Angela,

Your plant looks like a Clivia plant. Here is one in full bloom.

Clivia Plants bloom for about 4 weeks during the late spring and early summer when the weather is warm and the days are long. Clivias are large plants that can grow 2-3 feet tall and almost as wide. Planting a Clivia Plant in a heavy clay or ceramic pot, prevents it from tipping over. The older a Clivia Plant gets the more beautiful it becomes. Your can read all my care tips in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/clivia-plant-kaffir-lily-how-to-grow-care-for-a-clivia-plant

The plant is turning yellow because it is to wet. You should have left the plant in a small pot so the soil could dry out quickly. You are over watering, the soil is staying wet too long and damaging the roots. Water a Clivia plant well and then allow the top 50% of the soil to dry out before watering again. Clivia Plants prefer to be on the dry side. 

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..