Help! Identify My Plant

I have a plant from a funeral that I want to keep for a family member but don’t know what it is or how to care for it

Hi Yvette,

Peace lily has large green leaves and white flowers
Peace Lily
Spathyphyllum

Your plant is called a peace Lily (Spathyphylum). Peace Lily houseplants are one of very few indoor plants that can bloom even in medium to low light. NASA lists Peace Lily Houseplants as one of the best plants to clean the air of harmful toxins such as benzene, formaldehyde, and carbon monoxide.

Peace Lily houseplants do well in low, medium, or indirect bright light. Too much light causes the leaves to fade and lose their vibrant dark green color. Too little light and they can’t develop flowers. Direct sunlight burns the leaves.

Allow the top 50% of the soil to dry out before watering.  If a Peace Lily severely droops, yellow leaves appear once it’s watered again. Over-watering causes the leaves to turn dark brown.

You can read all my care tips on how to grow this plant in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/peace-lily-spathiphyllum-how-to-grow-care

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..