Euphorbia Leuconeura (Madacascar Jewel Plant): How to Grow Care

I was given a houseplant with a unique, square stem. New leaves come from the top of the plant, and it has small white flowers that appear at the base of each leaf where the leaf joins the stem. Any idea what this is called, and how I should look after it? Thanks!

 

Hi Olga,

Your plant looks like a Madagascar Jewel Plant (Euphorbia leuconeura). Here are some care instructions on how to grow a Madagascar Jewel plant as an indoor houseplant.

Light: bright indirect light, no direct sun.

Water: Water once a week in the spring and summer when the plant is actively growing or when the top 50% of the soil has dried out. Water every other week in the fall and winter or less if the soil has not dried out.

 Feed monthly with a plant food for Succulent PlantsLearn the definition of a succulent plant and why they are called a "fat plant." when your plant is actively growing.
propagationLearn how to propagate plants by plant division at https://www.houseplant411.com/glossary: With proper care, these plants literally spray their black seeds all over the soil.
Euphorbia leuconeura are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Handling the plant, especially the sap, can cause skin irritation or allergic reaction. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..

Here is a picture of a Madagascar Jewel plant in bloom.

Square-stemmed, pink Euphorbia leuconeura