Can you identify this adopted plant?

We adopted a very large plant from the previous homeowners and have no idea what it is or how to take care of it. We did trim it back some and re-potted to make it more manageable. She had it for 30 years, I’d hate to inadvertently kill it now. Thanks for your help!

Hi Nicole,

 

Your plant looks like a Ficus Alii tree, or Amstel King tree as it is sometimes called. A Ficus Alii tree is closely related to the Ficus Benjamina Tree, the Alii variety is much more tolerant and forgiving. A Ficus Alii tree rarely sheds leaves, tolerates lower light, and allows you to move it around without going into shock. A Ficus Alii  does grows about 25% slower than a Ficus Benjamina. Here’s a picture of a healthy Ficus Alii

Green narrow long leaves ficus alii, Amstel King
Ficus Alii
Amstel King

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..

You can read all of my tips on how to grow a ficus Alii in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/ficus-alii-how-to-grow-care

Your ficus looks like it could benefit from a product called superthriveSuperthrive combines vitamins and hormones to encourage plant growth both above and below the soil line. It's not a plant food so it needs to be used in addition to your regular plant food; the two can be used at the same time. Just put a few drops into your watering can & that's all that's needed to improve the health & appearance of your plants. If your plants are in real trouble, add about 10 drops per 2 gallons of water. SuperThrive works best when the soil is dry. that you can read about in the Glossary of the website. It does wonders for plants under stress.