Can You Help ID This Plant?

Hi Judy! This plant I received is not labeled and I am hoping you can help me ID it so I can l care for it properly. Thank you!

Hi,

 

It looks like a Balfour Aralia plant; the variety would be Polyscias-scutellaria. The distinct leaves of a Balfour Aralia plant look like leathery round dinner plates about 1″- 2″ in diameter which is how it got its nickname, the Dinner Plate Aralia. Aralias need some extra care and or they will quickly drop leaves. Here’s a picture of a “Dinner Plate” Aralia.

Large green round leaves on POLYSCIAS-SCUTELLARIA-'BALFOURIANA'
Aralia-POLYSCIAS-SCUTELLARIA-Balfour (Dinner Plate Aralia)

You can find all my care tips on how to grow and maintain an Aralia Plant in the Popular Houseplant section of the website.

https://www.houseplant411.com/houseplant/balfour-aralia-how-to-grow-care

These plants are considered poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants and should be kept away from pets and children. Read more about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants in Don’t Feed Me To Your Cat! A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..