Are my houseplants poisonous to dogs & cats?

Hi there! I have acquired 2 plants and I don’t want to bring them in the house until I know if they are hazardous to cats or dogs…I have a ‘Popcorn Cassia’ (or Cassia Didymobotrya) and a Moses in the Cradle Plant (tradescantia spathacea)…thank you for your time.

Hi,

Popcorn Cassia (Cassia didymobotrya) is a unique and beautiful plant, though I have only seen it grown as an outdoor plant not a houseplant. When the leaves of the Popcorn Cassia (sometimes called Peanut Butter Cassia) are crushed it emits the scent of buttered popcorn. It is a poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants plant and will cause problems if ingested by humans or pets.

400px-Cassia_Didymobotrya_2006_07_1

Moses in the Cradle plants are poisonous house plants with a #3 toxicity level. The sap of a Moses in the Cradle plant causes severe pain in the mouth if eaten and minor skin irritations that last a few minutes.

Glossy green and purple Moses in the Cradle Plant
Moses in the Cradle
Tradescantia spathacea

You can read all about common houseplants that are poisonousPlants are a great addition to homes and offices, but it’s important to know whether your plants are dangerous to children, pets, or even adults. Some plants contain chemicals such as oxalates, solanine, glycosides, or alkaloid lycorine that may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, swelling and redness of the mouth, throat, and lips, and trouble breathing. Touching parts of certain plants, especially the sap, may cause various skin irritations. The weight and age of the human or pet involved, and the part and amount of plant eaten determine how severe the reaction to the toxins will be. Although plants may be listed as non-toxic, they can still cause individual allergic reactions. If there is any question after a houseplant has been ingested or touched, immediately call the Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222.  More poisonous houseplant information and pictures of common plants that are dangerous to children and pets can be found in my book Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat: A Guide to Poisonous Houseplants to cats, dogs, other pets, and children in Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat-A Guide to poisonous houseplantsIn her new book, Don’t Feed Me to Your Cat!, plant care professional Judy Feldstein shares information about twenty-five common houseplants, each with various levels of toxicity, and the possible consequences if your pet or child snacks on them..